Six tough miles!
The last run of this week did not go well! On schedule was a 6-miler. The route began at the same place as Wednesday's run but turned right by the basketball arena and rambled through UT. The route was familiar to me as a motorist but new to me as a runner so I spent a few minutes Thursday night writing down the instructions in large print (so I wouldn't need reading glasses) and folding the information in a plastic bag to stuff in my pocket.
I was running by 8:30 AM but in retrospect, I should have started earlier as the humidity was already high. I checked my instructions as I turned left or right and the first part of the run went well. Somewhere along the way, I became too confident and quit looking at my paper. Then I made a mistake and turned on the wrong road. It is no surprise to me that my internal gps is broken, but it does surprise me that after all these years I continue to think I can rely on it.
The sun was warm, the air still and not a spec of shade in sight. Whoops! No way would I backtrack to correct my mistake so I kept running in the direction of the river and soon crossed the railroad tracks. I popped out by the UT Vet School and onto the shady greenway but it was too little too late. I was still running but feeling very sluggish.
The mistake cost me about 1/2 mile but the heat and humidity would cost me more. I began a pattern of running for a few minutes, then walking a few. Jeff Galloway style I convinced myself, knowing I was walking more and running less than he advocates. As periods of walking increased, I had to work to convince myself to run and somewhere around mile 3.5, I threw the Jeff Galloway concept out the window. By mile 4, I was pretty much toast, walking a lot, jogging a little. I reached the car none too soon!
On one hand, the run was a disappointment. I know I can run 6-miles. Sometimes I wonder if my mind not in the right place. On the other hand, it is summer and I am still running. I should consider this a win! After this effort, I have decided to purchase a visor and a fuel belt for future long runs. Maybe hiding my face from the sun and a bottle of water and Powerade will help me through the rough patches. I plan to try the effort again next week.
Now John and I are off to Chattanooga for his family reunion...
3 comments:
When a run starts going downhill, we can either sink into "oh, its a crappy run" syndrome, or we can use our minds to turn it into something good. There is no shame in walking...
Bad runs happen. Just try and figure out what was different about the day (usually nutrition/hydration/sometimes sleep). That said, everyone has them...so don't worry. I've gone out on short runs (3-5 miles) and floundered wondering how on earth I was going to finish.
Just shrug it off!
I agree with Wes. Specially in the summer there are bound to be some tough days. Stick with it!
Post a Comment