A Lady of Leisure
My sister called this afternoon to find out how the "lady of leisure" spent her day. Yes, that's right, I am now a lady of leisure. Last Friday I became the casualty of budget cuts and job consolidations, a member of the government's statistics on unemployment. While I was surprised by the news, I really wasn't. A year ago when my old company was acquired, I made the choice to work from home instead of moving to North Carolina. This is a decision I never regretted but it left me vulnerable; working from home is not part of the company culture.
So now it is time to rediscover myself, time to find a new job. From my sister's point of view, trading her class of 3rd graders for hours at home is probably a nice leisurely thought. I, on the other hand, would gladly trade the anxiety of unemployment for a nice position in the classroom.
Today was another incredible day, sunny and 70's. Got out around 11:00 AM for a run on Cherokee Blvd. I discovered what the stay at home moms and retired folks do on pretty days in Knoxville....walk and run on Cherokee Blvd. Since I am having a bit of trouble with my right foot , the run was not as long and fast as I initially planned. The problem is not planters (I know that pain well) but related to my insoles. I did not replace them when I replaced the shoes. My bad....
This evening, John and I returned to Cherokee Blvd with our bikes. Lots of traffic, outfits (bicyclists) and runners out. I seem to have trouble picking up speed on the boulevard, not sure if it is traffic related, the rolling hills or mental. We looped the lower 3.2-mile section 4 times, avoiding the big hills on upper section. John rides along patiently, offering encouragement while I try to build power and speed. He rode 18-miles with me on Saturday, 30-miles by himself on Sunday and tonight's 12.6-miles.
Run: 4-miles, 47.0 minutes, 11:45 min mile
Bicycle: 12.6-miles, 56 minutes, 13.5 mph
2 comments:
Sorry to hear the news about your job. Hope you're able to find something else that works for you soon. Could be something much better!
Thanks for stopping by my blog.
Good job with your run and cycling.
Sorry about your job - maybe it will lead to an exciting new opportunity.
p.s. about being last - the difference for me between this year and last year is last year that scared me. now it doesn't. i've learned that it isn't so bad. :)
Post a Comment