A Humble Triathlete
One of my blogging friends...the second person to post encouragement on my blog, is in a contest to win a tri spot on Team Evotri. The only way to win this spot is to receive the most email votes by the deadline of 3/28/2008.
Shirley is a real inspiration! Please visit her blog "Humble Triathlete" and read about her. While there, take a moment to vote. Either click on the Evote button on her website or do it manually by sending an email to emailvote@evortri.com with http://humbletriathlete.blogspot.com/ in the subject line. For my non blogging friends, you don't have to be a blogger to vote. Only one vote per email address.
As for my own humble efforts today, I decided it is time to start pushing my running minutes per mile out of the "11's" and into the "10's". Since it is easier to control pace on the treadmill, I went to the gym, set the treadmill on 10:54 mmp and knocked out 3 miles. This is not yet a stretch for me, I should be able to hold 3 miles at 10:42 mmp, but one step at a time. Hopefully the faster pace will eventually translate to my outdoor runs.
After the run, I climbed in the pool and swam 400 meters. I still have to stop after each pool crossing with the freestyle but I can do the breaststroke for 2 laps without a rest. I am doing better but still have a ways to go before I seriously consider signing up for a late May tri.
Thanks for reading and check Shirley's blog!
Run: 3-miles, 32.42 min, 10:54 mmp
Swim: 400 meters, 15.26 minutes (including a lot of resting!)
2 comments:
Wow, thank you for kindness in helping me out!
And great to hear you're working on getting faster. One of the things that's really helped me is increasing my stride rate or leg turnover to at least 170-180 steps per minute. Also landing midfoot rather than heel-toe. This is contrary to the way a lot of self-taught runners run. It should allow you a much smoother stride (very little bouncing up & down) and also a very quiet stride (no foot slapping). Both will help reduce the potential for injuries by lessening the impact on one's body when running.
Keep up the good work!
Keep in mind that in order to "simulate" outdoors, you need to bump your elevation up a half or full percent, otherwise the treadmill is "helping you" run...
Post a Comment