Chop Chop Chop!
"Would you like to swim faster?" the gentleman in the next lane asked as I crawled out of the pool."
"Yes, very much."
"You must reach. You have choppy strokes, you bring your stokes down too soon. Reach for the water. This is why tall people swim faster, they have a longer reach. You are just average, you must reach, and another thing...."
And so I received my first swimming instructions from a delightful 70's something gentleman with an accent heavy from his motherland, Greece. This man cannot only swim like fish but I have seen him absolutely tear up the elliptical trainer. He went on to point out that I drag my arms at my side instead of moving them in front of my body, hence another slowdown AND I only breathe to one side so I loose symmetry, breathing to both sides is faster. He obviously did not take into account that I was on the verge of drowning with just the motion of moving my head to one side.
Unfortunately, someone had taken my lane and a bunch of kids were in the open area, so I did not get back in the pool to practice. I was also pretty tired, today's swim was a struggle, now I know why! I will get out and either bike or run this evening, then it is back to the pool in the morning. I plan to show up about the same time and hope that he is there again. His instruction is very appreciated.
Tuesday
Swim:
4x100 meters, 13.58 minutes
4x40 meters
4x20 meters
Monday:
Run: 3.0 miles, 33.57, 11:19 mmp
Swim: 4x100 meters, 13.50 minutes
4 comments:
I showed Dee Dee that very same thing. Your hand should enter the water jus above your head and knife through the water in front of you. This provides you with lift and keeps your body on the surface. Then, just before you pull it back, reach for the wall once last time. This is the glide. A lot of folks think they need to be stroking all the time to swim, but this just isn't so. I pass lots of people in the pool who are just flailing away, and I'm taking just 14-16 strokes per length.
Another thing you can practice is to push your chest down into the water. This will force your hips up to the surface, then kick your feet just enough to keep your body level. The more your legs drag, the slower you go.
You are doing awesome! Keep up the great work!!
That's pretty cool that he offered advice - and did it in a way that showed he just wanted to help. I often wander what coaches are thinking when they're coaching folks in the lane next to me. I'm thinking they're really saying to thier students "See that guy there - DONT'T do that". :)
reminds me on a father of one of my buddies growing up on lake erie...everyday, he would walk in his speedo down to the lake and get in..and swim, these amazing strokes...mesmerizing...cutting through the water like....(barbra streisand voice here...."Buttah".)
he was a fish. so effortless..i often think of him when i am swimming....he swam till he was about 70 or so....
good luck
Yes, as I've found out, swimming is all about technique. What he told you about reaching is good advice but you'll probably also hear some conflicting advice too from good swimmers from time to time, too, as everyone body different and there are different ways people swim well.
GoSwim.tv has some great tips on swimming and videos too that can help. Swim lessons are also a great way to improve. Personally, I don't think I could have stuck with swimming without having had them.
Post a Comment